Friday, July 31, 2015

Utah with the Calders (March)

We were in Utah from March 10-25. We had a GREAT time. We decided to go now because my sister was undergoing surgery for recently diagnosed breast cancer. I wanted to be there to help, support, love, etc. I'm SO glad we made the trip happen. We spent some great time together. On that note, Anna has finished 7 sessions of chemo and has only 1 left. Things are going well so far. Still radiation and more to do, but we're on a good path.

I flew to SLC with the kids by myself because Curt went to a travel show in Vegas "on the way" to Utah. Because we booked our tickets with short notice, I opted to save a few hundred dollars and make a connection. I wish I had written this post freshly because the story probably would have been a lot more dramatic. Let's just say it was a really interesting trip.

Since we were flying out of La Guardia and I had 2 kids, 2 carseats, a suitcase and carryon (packed light since I was traveling solo) and was quite pregnant I 'splurged' and took a cab. In the cab on the way there I was unexplainably nauseated. About 10 minutes before reaching the airport I couldn't hold the vomit in anymore. I searched through my stuff for something to puke in with no success--and I was sandwiched between the 2 kids in their carseats so I couldn't use the window/door....to say the least I threw up (swallowed) and did it again. Never knew that was physically possible. Far from ideal, but somehow it made me feel a lot better. I was SO happy to arrive at the airport. Sorry for oversharing...but that was just the beginning!


We had our layover in Philly. Right as we landed in Philly the vomit-bug attacked again. I hadn't thrown up once this pregnancy so I wasn't sure what was going on. Of course June had played with the barf-bag and had ironically dropped it to an unreachable place between our seats. Must have swallowed again.

Note Anson is in a new outfit in this photo

Flight from Philly to SLC I threw up 5x or so (had barf bag every time. Was NOT going to make that mistake again). Every once and a while I would drink about a Tbsp of some clear liquid to see if I could keep it down. Wasn't happening. I told the poor guy next to me to change seats several times (and asked the flight attendant to offer a new seat to him too as they were plentiful. Not sure still why he didn't move. Maybe he thought I'd feel bad? So there we are, June at the window, Anson on my lap and the kind, older guy next to me on his laptop doing work. So the icing on the cake was when Anson threw up ALL OVER me. My shirt was soaked, my pants were wet but repairable. June was an angel and stayed in her seat while I went to the bathroom with Anson to change him and try to clean myself up (covered with partially digested Wendy's frosty and fries...ick!). There was a really, really sweet woman who offered to hold Anson for me. I stripped him down to his diaper and she held him in a blanket while I got him a new outfit and did my best to care for myself. They had checked my carryon through at the gate in Philly, which seemed like a great idea to have an extra hand at the time, so I had no other clothing options. Well, I had a coat...and my shirt was so awful that wearing my jacket as a shirt was 10x better. Just had to hope I wouldn't be vomited on again or get too hot. Well, we landed in SLC and Grandpa Glen picked us up at the airport. After throwing up so many times I was a little concerned with what was going on with the pregnancy so we decided just to stop at the ER on the way home (it was almost midnight...). By the time I was checked in I was feeling so much better I questioned leaving...but then I decided peace of mind during the trip was probably worth the time and $$, especially since I'd be meeting the insurance deductible this year anyhow. So we do basic blood work, temp and such and deduce it must just be a virus. Oh. More icing on the cake. June threw up all over right as Glen parked the car. Then she threw up on the floor in my ER room. We changed her clothes both times. After that, none of us threw up. Since the 3 of us must have had some GI bug we delayed some of our Utah plans for a day or two so I didn't get poor Anna sick before surgery. We quarantined ourselves in Huntsville and had a GREAT time with Grandpa, Nana, the yard and animals. Huntsville is heaven for a 3 and 1 year old.

Feeding the animals with Grandpa

Helper unloading the dishwasher (and wearing the purple visor she finds in the toys every time we go to the Calders)

Baking cookies (and missing baking with Aunt Miranda, on her mission in Canada)

Helping Nana make lasagna

Playing doggies (taking June on a walk)

Our night "only for the girls" as June stressed 10x. Nana spoiled June and got her a cute jewelry set (clip on earrings and necklace and a princess crown) and we went to see Cinderella in the theater. We got mini pizzas, popcorn and soda. June was in heaven! She wants to do more dates with Nana and Mommy. Particularly Nana.

June got to ride with Grandpa and Nana to buy 6 chicks (June helped pick them out).

They had a blast making a home for the chicks with Grandpa and taking care of them

For weeks after we left Utah (and still actually, >4 months later), June and Anson regularly ask to see the "chickies" when we Facetime with Grandpa and Nana

While commuting between families we stopped and spent some time (not enough!) with our dear friends, the Porters, who moved to Utah from NYC a year ago. It was so cute to see June and Paige reunited. Just today June asked me when we were going to Paige's house again. These girls are meant to be BFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment