Saturday, July 27, 2013

Bedtime Tonight

Just for fun...We just put June down for bed. Not long later I heard her call, "Mommy? Mommy? Owie. Mommy?" I figured she actually needed something and is not yet conniving enough to 'call wolf.' Indeed, there I found her standing up with her knee stuck between the crib bars. I helped her free her leg, it was actually pretty tough, and she then asked [the traditional]:
June:"Walk? Outside? Play?" ie anything to get out of bedtime.
Mommy: "No, it's time for bed." I picked her up, asked her which stuffed animal/blanket she wanted.
June: "Longhorn (a gift from our friends from Texas). Strawberry (blanket)."
We then sat in the rocking chair and I asked her if she wanted me to sing her a song.
June: "Missionary?!"
So I started singing "I Want to Be a Missionary Now," honestly knowing she wanted the other one--planning for a good finale of the 'chosen' song before sleep. A verse into the song
June: "No thank you."
Mommy: "I hope they call me on a...."
June: "YAY!"
A verse into the song
June: "No thank you. Nap? Lay down?"
Mommy: "You want to go to bed?"
June: "Yes, lay down."

And that was that. She's sleeping now.

It's funny to reflect on some of the funny things I hear lately:

"No Thank You": Whenever June doesn't want something, she kindly says, "No thank you." When she doesn't want to eat or drink something, go to bed, etc. Just a sweet, "No thank you." It's adorable. We'll just say she says that a lot.
"Hola!": We have one doorman that we (mostly Curt) speak to in Spanish. We've helped June learn a few greetings like "Hola" "Chao" and "Hasta luego." She enthusiastically shouts "HOLA!" when we get to the lobby, whether Juan is working or not. Thursday we were walking down the street and passed a building where there was an ethnic (?) doorman. June shouted "HOLA!!" and waved. She then did it to a black guy on the subway. It's hilarious.
"Bye guys": When the train stops and doors open June shouts, "Bye guys!" to anyone getting off. When we get off the "Bye guys" is sometimes even louder. We get a lot of smiles.
"Temple" and "Missionary": The most requested songs - by far. They just don't seem to get old.

Other things she likes doing: Talking, coloring, playing in the sand, swimming (NY style at park splash pads), somersaults (with some assistance), tickling Mommy and Daddy, playing with Paige, cooking (in her pretend kitchen and also helping pour ingredients for Mommy), reading books--many books, putting on shoes, painting her nails, walks and riding her scooter.

1 comment:

  1. Kids are so funny! I can't wait until Paisley is old enough to start saying more things! I love her Hola!!!

    ReplyDelete