Thursday, November 21, 2013

Welcome Anson Glen Calder!

Here is our labor story, for those of you who like to read them. For everyone else, enjoy the photos!

 
Wednesday, November 6th, 2013 did not start like any other day. In fact, I woke up, looked at the clock (4:04am) and felt a snap. My water broke. I knew it immediately -- so immediately I jumped out of bed to prevent an unnecessary sheet-change. Curt was sleeping soundly, and I knew he would be elated to hear the news. Not only had he said the night before, "Let's get this show on the road!" but he also had requested to baby boy that he come 1. On a weekday so he could miss work and 2. Come, preferably, on Wednesday, so he could get 2 solid days of work in before going on paternity leave. Why do we seem to have some 'power' over when my water breaks? Same thing happened with June.

Anyhow, I woke Curt up and told him the good news. We were going to have a baby sometime in the next 24 hours! My contractions started to be pretty regular almost immediately. They weren't too painful, so I didn't want to call my doctor. In hindsight, they were about every 2.5 minutes and most lasted almost a minute, so we were making good progress. To add to that, I was already a "4" at my appointment on Monday. After about 30 minutes I decided I should call my doctor. At my appointment on Monday he instructed me to call him if any 'event' happened (including water breaking or strong, regular contractions). So I called. He told me to go straight to the hospital and asked about how long a cab would take to get there. Wow. Go already? With June I was in labor for 6 hours after my water broke before we decided to go to the hospital. I really didn't want to go yet, but decided to listen and be safe (I'd also had polyhydramnios during my pregnancy so it was smart).

We got some things ready, called our wonderful neighbor, Brenda, to come over and sleep until my mom got there later in the morning to be with June. We arrived at NYU about 5:30am. You can see in the photos above I'm feeling pretty well. The towel kept the cab (and my legs) dry, and I am the most pregnant I have ever been: 39 weeks to the day. I'm still smiling - which meant to me I was at the hospital too early. I wanted to wait until the contractions were 'bad' so I wouldn't be stuck at a hospital and tied to monitors all day.

Well, long story short...actually it is a very short story from here. I changed, they checked my blood pressure, drew labs and started entering my info into the computer. Dr Scheinfeld came in to check me and announced I was a 10 and ready to push. I guess that explains the minor sensations that felt similar to the 'push' feeling with June in the cab on the way there...

Less than an hour after arriving at NYU, Anson entered the world at 6:24am. I was expecting him to come after at least 6+ hours of hard labor, considering the 15 hours with June. Boy were we surprised! I had prepped myself with hypnobirthing soundtracks, birthing ball, etc. so I could have a great birthing experience again. Turns out I didn't need any of it! Painful? Yes. As difficult of a labor as last time? Absolutely not. Not even close. Here's to all future labors to be like this!

Yes. I'm a "10" here and had no clue whatsoever. Curt sweetly offered to give me a back massage, to which I replied, "No thank you--you should save your energy for when I really need it." (likely said 15-20min before Anson was born).

We did it!! He is perfect.

I love umbilical cords (call me weird). His was completely different than June's. Anyone have explanations for differences? Hers was fluid filled-very thick diameter.

8 lbs 6 oz (3.82kg) and 20.5 inches 

Proud daddy


Looks a lot like his big sister



What June was up to on Wednesday. Grandma Venita was a HUGE help!

New favorite place to hide (at Chase Manhattan Plaza)

No comments:

Post a Comment