Sunday, October 16, 2011

At the hospital

Mom and June spent the standard 5 days at the hospital. That is totally different than the US for a 'normal' delivery. It was the perfect amount of time, in my opinion.

The staff at Beaulieu was great. Many nurses and midwives spoke English--but the majority of teaching, questions, etc. was in French. It was amazing to see I know more French than I thought I did. The 5 days of French immersion were what I need all the time to get better at French. It's hard to force myself to practice French when work was in English and all of my friends speak English.
I definitely enjoyed the food. The Clinique I was at is known for good food. This lunch was scallops (wow!). I ate other things like veal, duck breast, horse steak, exotic fish, etc. It was like living with an in-home chef 3 meals/day. Amazing. 
June on Sunday (2 days old). They use down comforters in the bassinets. 
June got to stay in my room with me all of the time. The only night I had them watch her in the nursery was Friday night after she was born. I was paranoid she would stop breathing or something and I couldn't fall asleep at all, but was totally exhausted from 13hrs of labor. After Friday night I wasn't so paranoid and loved having her in my room. I can sleep fine now--but moms just worry about anything and everything. You just have to have faith and stop worrying sometimes.

Daddy taking a nap on Sunday. Still wiped out. Of course I learned why he was so exhausted when we got home--the house was totally straight. He had been working non-stop when not at the hospital with us.

Monday morning--still incredibly cute. I couldn't stop looking at her all day. Just sitting in bed holding her was amazing. I had to put her down to take photos :) 

Family Night on Monday with Daddy (after work)



Tuesday morning

Tuesday afternoon. June was a little jaundiced so they tested her bilirubin. The levels were elevated, but they peaked and she didn't need the phototherapy. She was a very good patient (her little bandaid was cute). It reminded me of the months I worked Pediatrics at Timp in Orem. I remember doing blood draws on tiny little hands. I was glad to let the nurse do it. I was glad June was tough too.



Pheasant, porcini mushroom soup, veal,
squash, au gratin potatoes, apple crumble with 
English cream, etc. Yum!
Our awesome tête-à-tête on Tuesday night. The hospital provides a nice champagne dinner (or in our case sparkling jus de pomme) for the couple the night before departure so they can have quality time together. They are very focused on the family's well-being as a whole. The food was amazing, as always, and the company the best!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, just wow! June is beautiful, you're both amazing, and your clinic sounds like a dream! Makes me want to have a baby a la Suisse ;)

    ReplyDelete