I've been reflecting lately on my ability to communicate in French [probably because our journey in francophone Switzerland is coming to an end]. Things I appreciate that I couldn't do 2 years ago:
- Ask for directions and understand what someone says back
- Know what is on a menu at a restaurant and order
- Be able to ask for water, the check, etc. at a restaurant
- Small talk with my neighbors (not much--that's why it's small)
- Read signs posted in our apartment building-this was posted this morning. Good to know the water will be off tomorrow morning. I didn't even have to resort to Google translate
- Call and make appointments/reservations
- Know what the total is at the grocery store when they say, "trente cinq franc, vingt" (35.20)
- Etc.
I wish I could speak/understand more French, but I guess I sacrificed some of that in order to work full-time [in English]. I plan to keep studying bit by bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment