Thursday, September 15, 2011

Zürich, Switzerland

August 20-21, 2011
For our 3rd wedding anniversary Curt and I spent the weekend in Zurich. It was a very short weekend trip, but just the right amount of time.

While we were there, we enjoyed the sites, walked around shops, played games and read. It felt like a real vacation.
The train station there is even beautiful. Zurich is only 2 hours 45 minutes by train from Geneva. 
The streets are nice and the shopping is fun (even though I'm not a shopper). You can tell I'm pregnant now--not just fat. Good thing. I was 7 months in this photo. This is Bahnhofstrasse, the pedestrian street. 
Always thirsty. I LOVE free Swiss water everywhere.
We had a real Swiss German lunch: spätzle, schnitzel, etc.
Our favorite treats there were from Sprüengli. The luxemburgerli are amazing (they are mini macaroons) and the hot and cold chocolate drinks are rich and divine.
Here we are in front of Grossmünster (big church)
We sat on a bench overlooking the city and just relaxed for a long time. Curt had a fun time using our new camera.
Our photographer

I was actually surprised with Zurich's beauty. For some reason I was expecting a grey, depressing, metropolitan city. I was totally off. Zurich is charming, clean and beautiful. It lies on a lake with a river going through town, like Geneva.
We also enjoyed attending church--in German. I am extremely grateful we live in the French speaking region of Switzerland. French seems a lot easier to learn with our experience in Spanish and Portuguese. It is also useful because it is so much more widely spoken.
Sitting in Sacrament Meeting in German made me think of Dad and his time as a missionary in Germany. I need to go back and read his mission journals and look at his mission photos. I don't know very much about his mission. It was 5 years that week since he passed away.

Our awesome brunch on the train ride home
Curt bought me flowers the week before our anniversary "just because." They were so gorgeous and unique I had to take a photo. The one on the left reminds me of coral in the Red Sea.

2 comments:

  1. super cute shirt Allison! now that I've caught up on your blog, should I catch up on mine? I'm only two years behind. And a photographer. Which is crazy overwhelming since I have bazillions of photos to sort through and try to narrow down. Painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures! These views and your commentary make me want to take a weekend trip to Zurich soon!

    ReplyDelete